Drug delivery patches have a variety of advantages compared with the oral route, hypodermic injections and creams, including:
- Delivery of medication directly to the site at which it is required
- Controlled absorption and more uniform plasma drug concentrations
- Improved bioavailability by avoiding first-pass liver metabolism
- Drug release over long periods of time
- Increased flexibility in terminating drug administration by patch removal
- Better patient compliance due to simple, convenient and painless application.
While the global transdermal drug delivery market is worth *$31.5bn, it is restricted by current patch technologies, which have limited drug loading capabilities and compatibility with a narrow range of chemical types, making them unviable for use with many pharmaceutical products that could benefit from this system. TEPI Patch – Medherant's new patch technology – aims to improve upon existing patches by significantly increasing drug loading capability, efficacy and the patient user experience.
* Transdermal Medicine Review and Outlook, PharmaLive Special Report, Sept 2011